Saturday, February 27, 2016

Shaping a New Life

Hi,
It’s a cool, clear day with a low in the seventies. I love winter in Puerto Rico. Saturday is my home day to do chores, so naturally I’m on the computer. Stretching and cracking my spine, having a smoothie; it’s good to be retired. After working a lifetime, my wants and needs fill my days. Sing halleluiah!
In my fifties my body fell apart, everything hurt. My exercise program has improved my strength, but I’m still a big fat girl. It’s scary to think how fat I was; fat and happy that’s what I was. In the beginning I was just a bowl full of jello, and now I have nice muscle under a layer of fat. Bat wings and belly are a fright, but so what.
One of the things I’ve discovered about my new self is that I’m not as outgoing; the old me would talk to anybody, any where. Sometimes it feels as if I’m shy, but I know myself better. I’ll talk to women before I will men. When I talk to men here, I get the impression that they think I’m hitting on them, so I stay to myself, especially, at the gym. Hell, I was one of those idiots who say hello to people in parking lots, so this is a big change for me.
Filled out a form that required the choice of single or married; I checked married. What’s up with that? My identity for all of my adult life has been married lady. I’m alone; why can’t embrace single lady?
Last Sunday of the month jazz in Condado happens tomorrow, so lawn chairs are loaded. And since I love free jazz, I’m going to New Orleans end of next month for the Tennessee Williams Lit fest and the French Quarter Fest, which is music in the streets. I won’t be a face alone in the crowd; I’m volunteering.
By Water Bar
Congo Square
The trip finale will be a leisurely drive down Florida Gulf coast on the way to Orlando for my flight home. Fifties style motels are calling my name. I’m going to do it; wish me luck. My best to you, Tricia


No comments:

Post a Comment