Sunday, April 30, 2017

Diner Tale Continued

“I was ten years old when I met Sara,” the hero said as he stepped away from the table. 
Rock Star, “You know she recycled her cherry.”
A man at the counter looked up, “Yeah, she recycled her cherry.”
“Good morning, how are yah?” Venerable Bette to a man who just inside the door shook himself dry. 
“Short stack?” Bette queried with a familiar gaze.
He nodded while wiping his face with the sleeve of his shirt.
Bandanna man asked lobster red head, “What are you doing for your  anniversary?”
“I’ll get her flowers and see what’s playing at the Saenger.”
“You should get a room in the Quarter.”
Lobster red shook his head in agreement.
“You gonna ask her to marry You?” Bandanna guy asked the young hero when he returned to the table.   
“I don’t think so.”
“You ought to tell her. I’d rather know if I had no hope; wouldn’t You”
“I suppose,” the hero sheepishly replied.
“My grandkids are coming over Sunday.”
“You see them often?”
“Yeah, the last time my two oldest boys brought girls who didn’t seem orientated to the family. I’m proud of them because they saw it and those girls won’t be back.”
“Al Hirt was a nice man; my momma worked with him,” a man at the counter offered.
Rock Star added, “He come from New Orleans, made New Orleans music. He could play.”
“Good morning,” the staff chimed as a mom with her three children closed her umbrella just inside the door.
The oldest, a teenager with shoulder length hair streaked in that new shade of gray followed her mom. The middle child with red and gold streaks in her hair threw her bottom in a chair and the baby, a girl of about eight with black rimmed glasses looked like she orchestrated the lot of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment