Thursday, October 31, 2013

Is This What Life Goes on Means?

Ladies, does suddenly alone and mourning get complicated by the now, I need a handyman for all those honey do’s?
The last couple of years with Kirt in the hospital so much, everything else received the back burner care, so now my physical world is falling on me. Both vehicles need repair, my roof needs cleaning and resealing, the house needs painting inside and out. I could go on, but you get the picture. And with the flat tire on the car in the beating sun each day, I’m doing myself no favors.
I ran into a guy my husband and I met a few times at a friend’s house. He told his long tale of woe be gone and no money. “Can you change a flat tire for me and give me a quote on cleaning and resealing my roof?”  Of course, he said it would be no problem at all, but he couldn’t do it until this, that and the other happened. “Okay, when is that?” I said with a smile. He spoke of jobs he had done and what he had achieved. Next week Tuesday he’d be available, but definitely next Wednesday, a week from today.
The morning before he received a text that read pick you about ten thirty tomorrow. We’ll be fixing a flat first, signed with a smiley face.  That evening he called to say, “Gee, uh, the gal who owns the store I work at thinks we’ll be too busy the day before Halloween, (tomorrow) to spare me; is that going to be a problem? “I suppose thrift stores are busy the day before Halloween; of course, it’s not a problem. I’ll think of something to do tomorrow, no big deal.” Thursday he promised would be the day to fix the flat and get a few other chores done.
Okay, so the day didn’t go as planned, Thursday was just a day away. All the other things scheduled around the tire being fixed could be rescheduled, but Friday is committed, well, that left Thursday all day; what else could go wrong?
Thursday morning, 9AM, the phone rang. “Good morning,” I answered thinking he had questions about materials he would need to change the tire or something.  “How are you today?” I inquired. “Well, my boss’s sister needs a ride to work and then she’ll need a ride home from work this afternoon, so today’s really not a good day. Can we do this next week?”  He wanted to know.
”No,” I have too few good days left in this life to waste waiting on someone who doesn’t respect the commitment he made to me. He could have dropped this woman at her job come to my house and been home in time; why was that too much for him, hmm, I need to pass on this; don’t you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment