Thursday, November 6, 2014

November Reflections

God, the Universe laid out an interesting odyssey for my life, the details of which sometimes amaze me.
Looking out my window at lush green fields with the wind whipping through the valley I am contemplating this year’s events, the first year after my honey, my husband Kirt died.
Who would have thought I’d be spending a couple of months on some guys couch; yeah, no shit, who would have thought that?
The advantage of accepting an offer of a sofa at my age is I can be fairly certain nobody is going to lose his mind in the middle of the night and pounce. The guy was a dear to share what he had and proved to be a huge distraction from my sorrow.
Only the wind and a rooster crowing bring my mind back to my island home and now. November brings reflection, time tempered my pain to find me sad, but resilient.


I slept in a kitchen-living room combo in a one bedroom, one bath, cozy apartment. My desperation for returning to New Orleans outweighed any fear, until the night he flipped the kitchen light switch on, followed by fumbling with pans. Awake and alert beyond belief, I sat up.
“Oh, you’re awake,” he said with a bemused smile. “Would you mind listening to the poem I just wrote?’  
At one in the morning I listened to poetry and stories of the man’s life.

My dogs return home barking and wagging their tails. It’s time to go rub some tummies.


God, I promise to enjoy each day you give me as best I can. I realize the day is your gift to me; I pray to use it wisely.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment