Sunday, May 18, 2014

Thanks and Good Bye, the Sequel

.

The topic of What do I Make of This, his letter screamed for a reply. I didn't know what to say; finally, this is what I sent. I can  be such a sophist talking myself in and out of things. The warning of my Aunt Margaret in my head, "What's wrong with a man who's had three wives and can't stay with any of them. Women just want to nest." I wasn't nesting, I just needed a place to stay, which put me on his couch. 
I didn't not want to be friends with this guy. How bad did his behavior have to be to  push me away? I'm a mature, hetero sexual woman, alone for almost a year, endless hours of listening to " I did this, and I did that," told me how lonely I was for male company. I was attracted to him; God forgive me. 
My first almost relationship, since I'm a teenager fizzled, oh woe is me.

This my reply to close the gate on this puppy. 

I’m sure my perceptions are often incorrect; none the less they are MY perceptions. I decided to flee the morning you raised your voice to me and got in my face, shouting, “My opinion is the only one to count,” at first I thought you were kidding. I have no idea why you were so angry that morning, but I choose not to subject myself to that behavior, yes, I run.
I asked if you wanted to talk; you chose to not. More than two weeks later you send this diatribe about changing me for a better Patricia.
Thank you for everything good you did; there were many enjoyable times. The day we went to on errands and played name that tune and who sang it stands out in my mind a fine day. I believe I treated you to an oyster po boy; Short Stop makes the best po boys. It wasn’t all bad which made it sad to leave.
I am not angry. You characterize yourself as an evil, bad boy. Your goal was to get a rise out of me. I told you, you wouldn’t like the results. 
Respect for others means that you don’t try to remodel people. It’s not your job or right to make a better Patricia.
As I offered from the beginning, you are welcome to stay at my home in Puerto Rico; that was the swap. I did not sign on for verbal abuse. I asked you repeatedly to not do that. You said, “That was like waving a red flag in front of a bull.” Equally annoying was having you insist on me telling your friends that, “I’m the best poet in the State of Louisiana.”

I’m not going to vent listing your short comings. I’m just going to say, “Thanks for the kindness you showed. May God bless you and keep you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment