Monday, January 2, 2017

Company

Company came; company went. Company wore me out. Out the door by eight to be there at nine every morning felt a bit much when coupled with getting back late each night.
Regular exercise gives me stamina, so I informed my companion of my need. “You can workout anytime you want before eight.” She told me as a matter of fact. She had our days planned. I tried to comply, but couldn’t drag myself to the gym before eight with breakfast, shower, and dress, so off I went another day without my exercise, but the next day.
“We need to leave soon. It’s going to be another day wasted because you won’t leave on time.”
Grit my teeth; stifle the scream wanting to leap out, every aching bone in my body instantly got pissed. “I’m not going,” I said. “You go, have a good time. I’ll catch up with you later if I feel better.”
“I’m your guest,” she thundered. “I expected to go with you. How do you expect me to get there? I came to see…”
Alas, my nice isn’t as deep as I’d like it to be; I interrupted her.
“You’re a grown woman; take a cab. Can’t you understand I hurt?”
There must be a list of telltale signs of an only child. Perhaps, I should have consulted it.

Walking at breakneck speed so we can see everything or standing on the corner unable to keep up wasn’t the fun adventure I’d hoped for, but pressed on gamely.
Note to self: establish ground rules before company comes.
I WILL be taking the time to exercise. I WILL rest as necessary.
If I don’t want to do something you want, go without me. I will try my best to please my guest, but my limitations need to be respected. We will share what we can and come prepared to follow your agenda without me if I can’t. I mean no offense.
Despite problems, minor skirmishes, and occasional bad language we parted on a positive note. Rough edges come with deep souls. Absent bad intent, all is forgiven by both. Friends are too few.



No comments:

Post a Comment