Monday, December 9, 2013

Does Death Come in Threes?

Does death come in 3’s or does the mind fill in details to prove beliefs?
I hadn’t lost anybody “close” to me in a long time. My Uncle Lou died about thirteen years ago. I loved him with a big heart little girl crush. Writing this gets me lost in memories of a man with rare natural class. I remember my aunt telling me something about death and three, but blew it off, so I can’t tell you about the other two.
My father died the year I graduated from high school. Walking to work with my dog, Donovan, singing Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme; she once was a friend of mine is pretty much my best memory of the time. I was angry and scared, but too dumb to know it at the time.
You may recall me telling about my dog Lola dying shortly after Kirt, and now my best friend from childhood; that’s three loved ones taken away.
Death touches us HARD, slapping us around with no regard for our feelings. It tests us as organisms in a dish. How much can we take? Will we respond in a healthy way, surviving and, maybe, thriving or does this abuse cause us to become bitter, to wither emotionally, as my friend did, and die?

Is this cruel fate, or the loving hand of God? But for gentle transitions or the smile on my husband’s face  after he died and mini visitations, I might doubt. Prayers for understanding and acceptance will be answered, when I get my shit together and am ready, which I pray God will be soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment