Sunday, November 10, 2013

Joined Widow Support Group

I joined a Widow/Widower online support group. I’m a handbook kind of person. Other people’s posts helped; some were interesting, others were so sad. Reading about other people’s pain helped. I don’t like the idea of misery loves company, but their painful stories somehow normalized mine. Can this make sense?
To say I experience the dark night of the soul after Kirt’s death would not be an exaggeration. My faith, my love of God was completely challenged. People asked if I was angry with my husband for leaving me, no, I was angry with God for taking him.
Then came the bargaining, God, I would have traded half the life I have left to die at the same time. You know I would! I’m a person who prays, talks to God regularly, so to have my primary relationships disrupted was overwhelming.
The support group may be a bridge to a normal life again; whatever my new normal will become. We all handle things in our own way with our own style and grace. Reading these stories gave me a snippet of peace.
Telling a widow of three days that in time it does get better little by little or as we say here, poco a poco and knowing it to be true felt good.

Tears flowed again, but this time I felt a touch of relief when I stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment